I am a freelance writer who graduated With Distinction from the University of Virginia in 2000.
My concentration was English with coursework in Journalism.
My writing has appeared in six published anthologies as well on
New York Times, Washington Post, Redbook and Verily Magazine among other places.
I am Co-Founder and was Managing Director of the NC Blogger Network.
Full Publications List as follows…
Beginning September 2016 I became a regular contributor for StarNews, writing the Passages/Celebrations articles each week.
Beginning October 2016 I became the Web Editor/Staff Writer for North Brunswick Magazine and South Brunswick Magazine, part of Carolina Marketing Company‘s publications and services.
Guest Posts & Freelance Articles:
- Port City Daily on March 7, 2017: Places to Visit on One Tank of Gas: Morrow Mountain State Park
- Port City Daily on February 9, 2017: Escape to the Kentucky Bourbon Trail: Journal entries from a constant wanderer
- Port City Daily on January 17, 2017: Escape to New York City: Journal entries from a constant wanderer
- SENC Magazine (Southeast North Carolina) Winter 2016: The Simple Travelers piece on Modern Day gypsies from Wilmington.
- StarNews on December 4, 2016: Best Buddies program comes to Coastal Christian High School
- StarNews on November 5, 2016: Dog lover says pit bulls get a bad rap
- South Brunswick Magazine Spring 2016: Hippie Chick Granola profile piece
- North Brunswick Magazine Fall 2016: Lincoln Elementary School teacher Molly White earns awards & has a vision
- North Brunswick Magazine Fall 2016: Inside the World Series contenders Leland’s Dixie Youth Baseball U8 Team
- StarNews on September 25, 2016: G.R.A.D.S. volunteers knit hats, clothes for babies, others
- Women’s Running on August 25, 2016: Why One Runner Made the Switch to Triathlon
- StarNews on August 22, 2016: Family camping trip in the mountains turns into a thirsty trek
- StarNews on August 18, 2016: Sept 7 She ROCKS luncheon fights ovarian cancer
- StarNews on August 2, 2016: The Shallotte nonprofit Widow’s Mite builds wells in other countries
- StarNews on August 1, 2016: Jennifer DeLong-White helps New Hanover’s blind people
- South Brunswick Magazine Summer 2016: Instagram collection challenges locals to #100DaysofNCBrunswick
- South Brunswick Magazine Summer 2016: feature article on folk artist Mary Paulsen
- North Brunswick Magazine Summer 2016: feature article on UNCW’s Plastic Ocean Project
- North Brunswick Magazine Summer 2016: article on new event venue BelleVue
- Verily Magazine on June 15, 2016: “After 10 Years of Marriage, Here’s What I Wish I Had Learned Before We Said ‘I Do'”
- The Washington Post’s On Parenting on June 3, 2016: “Thinking of home schooling? Me, too.”
- Verily Magazine on March 25, 2016: “If My Husband and I Met Today, Would We Still Choose Each Other?“
- The Gift of Writing on March 24, 2016: “How to Stop Procrastinating Over Your Writing Practice“
- The Washington Post’s On Parenting on March 15, 2016: “No, you can’t carry concealed weapons into our childproofed, gun-free home” (syndicated by Yahoo! News)
- Role Reboot on March 24, 2016: “To the Donor Who Made Me an Aunt“
- North Brunswick Magazine Spring 2016: “New Businesses Open Their Doors”
- North Brunswick Magazine (glossy regional print lifestyle magazine) feature article for Spring 2016: “A Peek Into the Past”
- Verily Magazine on March 1, 2016: “Why a Romantic Getaway Gone Wrong Was Better for My Marriage Than Sitting on the Couch”
- elephant journal on February 25, 2016: “What Happened When I said Yes to 108 Sun Salutations“
- Featured Today’s Parenting Team post on February 15, 2016: “Geocaching: Tricking My Kids Into Hiking“
- Today’s Parenting Team on December 28, 2015: “5 Resolutions That Have Nothing To Do With My Kids (& why that’s good for them)”
- Verily Magazine on December 24, 2015: “6 Steps You Can Take to Stay Connected to Your Spouse During the Holidays”
- Redbook Magazine on December 7, 2015:“I Didn’t Go Back To Work After My Maternity Leave”
- The Washington Post’s On Parenting on November 24, 2015:“Why I Will Ask You What I am Not Supposed to Ask”
- Featured Today’s Parenting Team post on November 24, 2015: “20 Non-Toy Gift Ideas for Kids“
- Verily Magazine on November 11, 2015: “What a Fight Over Hanging a Picture Taught Me About True Harmony in Marriage“
- Club Mid on Scary Mommy on October 21, 2015: “Am I Embarrassed to be a Stay At Home Mom?“
- Club Mid on Scary Mommy on October 14, 2015: “When Marriage Feels Heavy“
- Mamapedia Featured Voice on September 2, 2015: “Are You Questioning Your Marriage?”
- Role Reboot on August 27, 2015: “How Do I Teach My (White) Sons About Race?“
- Verily Magazine on August 25, 2015: “The Nightly Ritual That Keeps Our Marriage Strong“
- SITS Girls article on August 19, 2015: “9 Easy Steps to Get Your Blog Groove Back“
- Midlife Boulevard on August 6, 2015: “I Am A Success, Even If I’ve Thought Otherwise”
- The Washington Post’s On Parenting on July 29, 2015: “How carseats killed the carpool”
- Project Underblog on July 27, 2015: “Her Crying Made Me Stronger“
- Beyond Your Blog on July 27, 2015: “A Freelance Writer’s Blog Strategy (No Google Analytics Allowed)
- The Good Men Project on July 26, 2015: “The Hug that Ruined my Son’s Birthday Party”
- Mamalode on July 7, 2015: “Fly to Neverland, But Please Come Back“
- The Power of Moms on July 2, 2015: “The Anti-Summer-Bucket List Campaign“
- The Mid on June 27, 2015: “9 Tips to (Successfully) Live with a Woman”
- BonBon Break on June 9, 2015: “5 Steps to Summer Success“
- Midlife Boulevard on June 1, 2015: “Is Social Media Affecting Your Self-Esteem?“
- The Mid on May 31, 201: “10 Life Phases of Sexual Obsession“
- Mamapedia Featured Voice on May 21, 2015: “How to Be the Sexiest Mom at the Pool“
- Project Underblog on May 11, 2015: “These Things Are All Related”
- The Mid on April 22, 2015: “If Loving Sarah McLachlan Makes Me Old, I Don’t Want to Be Young“
- BlogHer featured member post on April 16, 2015: “5 Times When You Shouldn’t Submit Your Blog Post“
- Mom Babble on April 8, 2015: “5 Children’s Book Sequels Parents Desperately Want“
- NY Times’ The Motherlode on March 12, 2015: “A Stay-at-Home Parent is not a ‘Luxury’” (one of the top read posts on The Motherlode of 2015; lead to invitations by Fox News to appear on-air)
- Beyond Your Blog on January 19, 2015: “5 Essential Rules for Promoting Your Published Piece on Social Media“
- Undiagnosed But Okay on January 12, 2015: “My Challenge”
- Moms Magazine on January 6, 2015: “My New Year’s Resolutions Have Nothing to do With My Kids”
- Mamapedia Featured Voice on December 28, 2014: “The Best Photos Don’t Make the Holiday Card“
- Featured on BlogHer on December 10, 2014: “My Husband Doesn’t Read my Blog.”
- Bon Bon Break on December 12, 2014: “A (Drastic) 4 Step Program to Curb That Phone Addiction“
- Syndicated on BlogHer on November 10, 2014: “Should Bloggers Assume they are Blogging for Other Bloggers?“
- Mamalode on October 2, 2014: “When Mom Misses the Night”
- Project Underblog on September 11, 2014: “My Wrung Out Heart.”
- SITS Girls article on June 27, 2014: “7 Tips to Keep Old Blog Content Working For You.”
- Mamapedia Featured Voice on June 19, 2014: “How to Stay Sane this Summer.”
- Mom365 article on May 20, 2014: “10 Ways to Be a Happy Stay-at-Home Mom.”
- What the Flicka? article March 17, 2014: “From Green Beer to Green Cupcakes: My, How St. Patty’s Day Has Changed“
- What the Flicka? article February 16, 2014: “How Mama Got Her Groove Back: 7 Tips to Get Back in the Bedroom“
- Mamapedia Featured Voice on December 9, 2013: “I’m Like a Pressure Cooker”
- Scary Mommy: “10 Things to do in Chapel Hill and Durham with Kids”
- Mamapedia Featured Voice on October 12, 2013: “Help! My Child is Addicted to Screens!”
- Scary Mommy on September 9, 2013: “6 Things to Know About Becoming a Stay At Home Mom“
- When Crazy Meets Exhaustion on August 20, 2013: “Oversharing: When Bodies Attack“
- Palmettos & Pigtails on July 24, 2013: “A Transplant Story“
- Vend Raleigh on July 8, 2013: “How to Make Summer Work Work“
- The HerStories Project May 2013. See article here.
- Contributor to Triangle Macaroni Kid. Provided an article on request about date night suggestions for adults in Chapel Hill and Carrboro, NC.
- Article at Raleigh Mompreneurs: “Battling SuperMomItis.“
- Contributor to Lifestyle Family Fitness blog. Wrote an article on request for the website in conjunction with the World Cup called “Soccer Player Fit” in June 2010.
- The HerStories Project: So Glad They Told Me (2016)
- The HerStories Project: Women Explore the Joy, Pain & Power of Female Friendship (2013)
- The HerStories Project – My Other Ex: Women’s True Stories of Losing and Leaving Friends (2014)
- Motherhood May Cause Drowsiness (2014)
- Motherhood May Cause Drowsiness II (2015)
- Chicken Soup for the Soul: Merry Christmas (2015)
- Lose the Cape: Never Will I Ever (2015)
Releasing in 2016:
- New Hanover Residents Share Their Views (by New Hanover County Public Library)
- Double Bind: Women & Ambition (by Norton Anthology)
Positions & Professional Development:
- Web Editor/Writer for Carolina Marketing Company (September 2016 – current). Oversee relaunch of North Brunswick Magazine & South Brunswick Magazine websites. Implement and write original content plan for site.
- Columnist for StarNews (September 2016 – current). Write the Sunday paper’s weekly Passages & Celebrations column.
- Senior Content Strategist for BP Studios (2014-2015).
- Columnist and Staff Writer for Chapelboro (2014). Bi-weekly column on recommendations for family outings in Chapel Hill and Carrboro as well as news reporting for family interest topics.
- Managing Partner at Triangle Moms on Main (2012-2013). Joined founder Kristen Bagwell at the end of November 2012 and left in mid-2013 when the decision was made to stop publishing the website. The website had 1,370 Facebook followers. My writing and articles ran a gambit of topics, all related to parenting.
- Founder, editor, and primary writer for the website Mom in Chapel Hill.
- Columnist and contributor to Carolina Parent.
*Featured web article September 2012: “Triangle Offers Quick Dinner Solutions for Healthy Family Meals.”
*Wrote a regular column for the website from October 2010 to March 2011.
- Columnist for Chapelboro.com. Wrote a bi-weekly column from April 2011 to February 2012 that focused on parenting my toddler.
- Columnist for Triangle Mom2Mom, the online family site for the News & Observer. Wrote a weekly column from August 2010 to December 2012 that provided families recommended activities for the weekend.
- Writer for the University of Virginia’s student newspaper The Cavalier Daily. Wrote articles for the paper on assignment from August 1999 to May 2000.
- Writer and intern for the Smith Mountain Eagle. Wrote articles for the newspaper on assignment from May to August 1998. Work also included photographs to be published with articles.
- Books of My Life on The Latchkey Mom on December 14, 2015
- Featured Blogger Quote on Beyond Your Blog on November 24, 2015
- Appearance in Chicken Soup for the Soul featured in StarNews Online, Wilmington, NC on October 29, 2015.
- Interviewed on The j.jane Project on July 17, 2015.
- Featured cast member, Listen to Your Mother Raleigh-Durham show on March 20, 2015.
- Featured blogger at Beyond Your Blog on December 27, 2014. “Expanding Beyond Your Blog – Bloggers Share Goals for the New Year.“
- Featured writer at What the Flicka? on May 7, 2014.
- Featured on A Second Sip at More Than Mommies.
- Featured blogger at The SITS Girls on October 10, 2013.
- Featured blogger on Sunday Sip at More Than Mommies.
- Featured parent in Ladies Home Journal in May 2012. Recommended places and stops for families visiting Chapel Hill, NC.
- Featured in the Chapel Hill Magazine blog.
- Interviewed by The B Keeps Us Honest as part of an “I Heart NC” series in September 2010.
- Social Butterflies NC interviews me about my work on Mom in Chapel Hill.
- Provided original photography for many StarNews pieces to accompany articles September 2016 – current.
- Reposted on Instagram by Southern Living Magazine July 2015
- Winner Salt Magazine InstaContest April 2015
- Reposted on Instagram by: Out About NC, NC Blogger Network, What the Flicka?, ILMBeer
- Instagram photo from Puerto Rico featured & syndicated on Marriott Hotels’ feed on November 10, 2014
- “Your Best Shot” photograph, Chapel Hill News, June 30, 2013.
Notes and Accolades:
- Featured essay on Listen to Your Mother for cast alumni
- Sample essay for the new Her Stories Voices column.
- Featured Tweet in the Chapel Hill Weekly in October 2013 as @godansker.
- Featured Tweet in the Chapel Hill Weekly in August 2013 as @mominchapelhill.
- Mama Kat’s pick of the week twice for creative writing.
- Mom in Chapel website nominated as a Best of the Triangle by Triangle Moms on Main readers 3 years running.
Volunteer Work & Relative Community Involvement:
- Blog Editor for Grace United Methodist Church, including writing original articles September 2016 – current.
- Manager of the Vend Raleigh Bloggers’ group 2013-2014.
- Emily Matchar’s travel writing course in 2009 at UNC’s Friday Center.